The Wandering Continues...

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Moving to Shanghai – Chapter 3: German Residence Permit

As my valid employment contract is still with Germany and that I am almost 5 years in Germany, I am eligible to apply for a “Niederlassungserlaubnis” (translation: Settlement permit or unlimited residence permit) from German’s government.

However, as I will be in Shanghai for the next 3 years, things get a bit more complicated for the permit (ok, confession: complication is my specialties!!). I can only keep the residence status only if I continue paying the German’s social obligations (ie. pension fund) and have valid contact address in Germany (Anmeldebestätigung)

The second condition is interesting. How I have to convince a German to allow us to be registered in his/her house? Germans are very law-binding people. To register someone living in their house but not necessarily stay physically there might lead to questions from the officials (don't worry, it's not illegal act either). Additionally, the German's city hall official (Rathaus) will need to verify the income level, space available in the house and personal history of the host person. So imagine how relieve I am when a friend of mine called me tonight and confirm that we can be registered to his parents' house and the parents are even already prepared to sign all paperworks required!!! *big relieve*

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home