The Wandering Continues...

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Naive or just plain stupid? You decide!

This is a conversation I thought I will never have with my friend; especially not in 21st century anyway!

Buzz..
Her: Hey, I have a funny story for you! (sounds really excited)

Me: Really? And what would that be? (while thinking..what could be more exciting than a beach in Maldives??)

Her: I received yesterday a text message from O2 Telecom informing me that I have won 500,000 Pounds in a lottery in London!

Me: Hmmm (started to get suspicious, especially there is no O2 Telecom provider in Indonesia). Are you sure O2 Telecom?

Her: YES!!!!! (notice the exclamation marks!) I win 500,000 Pounds! Imagine all the things I can do with that money! And all I have to do is just to reply to an email address and give them my personal data so they can arrange the fund transfer! I am so rich now! (and still trying to go on with that “I-just-hit-a-black-jack-story”)

Me: (immediately sit straight and serious) Ok, now, we have to talk! (and start to explain her about the world of spam and hustler and identity theft).
...

Guys, seriously, if anyone of you still don’t realize how dangerous the world is out there, then use this as my token of friendship to you!

NEVER, and I am seriously saying NEVER (notice the capital letter!), believe anyone telling you that you win a lottery if you have never purchased any lottery ticket before! Never try to open you spam email, delete them immediately! You will never know if they attach viruses in the mail or hidden program to take your harddisk data! NEVER give your personal identification to somebody/an organization that you are not familiar with, especially providing your personal data (date of birth, address, etc) and bank account/credit card information to somebody you don’t know via email/instant messengers.


Beware of the identity thefts out there ready to get your informations and use it to open a credit card under your name and use it to make online purchases and left you with a huge credit card bill.

If you feel something is too good to be true, then be suspicious and check before you do what they ask!

Remember, in this world, there is no such thing as miracles!

May God bless us!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home