The Wandering Continues...

Friday, August 11, 2006

The Heart of England

Now that I am working in UK for the next 3 months, I feel that I have to write my first impression of it in my blog.

The city called Wolverhampton, it’s about 30 minutes drive from Birmingham; a small town of about 300,000 people. The area is called as "The Heart of England" as it is located right in the middle of the country.

Well, do I like it here??

It’s different, but I have to say that it’s rather different as I expect it would be.

The office building is not that old as the one in Germany, but I have to admit that I won’t eat in their canteen. I have really to say that I don’t find the microwave nor the canteen table is that hygenic. The last time they clean the canteen is probably a year ago. It does smell and you can see the various kind of food sticking inside of the microwaves. Seriously..think twice before heating your food there!!!

The apartment where I live is about 20 minutes drive from the company. It’s located in a small city called Albrighton; a small village in UK, something that I always want to try..living in a country side of England.

The apartment itself is ok, not state of the art but rather small and cozy. The only challenge is the shower..well, if you can even call it shower!!! Some friends of mine, who have stayed in this apartment, have warned me about the shower situation. They called it ‘English Shower’. And I thought..heck, how difficult it could be..well..guess again!!!

There are two separate taps in the shower, one for the hot water and the other one is for the cold water. Unfortunately, the cold water is really-really-and-really dominant compared to the hot water. So you have to open completely the hot water and do NOT open the cold water at all!! Otherwise you will definitely got cold shower!!! And..you just have to wish that the hot water is not too hot for you to take your shower!! Again..if you can call as shower!!! The two taps are connected with a shower pipe; which is unfortunately only reach up to your waist (and I am only 165 cm tall!). So there is no other way for you but to sit down in the tub. Unfortunately, the bathup is too small for you to really take a nice sincering bubble bath. So, just try to shower as quick as you can before you actually have a back pain.

Ok, the shower is a mess. But other than that, it is really ok! The colleagues in the office are really nice. I got to know two Brazilian girls and they are really cool. We have planned to have some girls’ night out together.

I’ve got a company car as well as a gasoline card so I can tank anywhere in the UK. So there will be lots of weekend travels to plan ahead here!! Some of my german’s friends have planned to visit me also. My brother will actually come to visit me in the beginning of October. I can’t cook so what I have done is to buy the frozen food and warm in up in the office, so I think I will be on track with my diet plan also! I will also live in a community that I don’t have to concentrate and think twice about the language (I found English is much easier than German; even with the really black English accent they have here). Nah..I have no complaints but to enjoy the next 3 months here!!!!

And of course, you are all invited to visit me and try the English shower!!! *blink*

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I almost had the same experience with a British shower, and not to forget the mechanism of the toilet... really special and risky... but this is for another occasion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home